Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Eric Heggestad

by Logan Justice


What is your current job role at UNC Charlotte?
Director, I/O Psychology Masters Program Associate Professor of Psychology Associate Professor of Organizational Science.

Tell me a bit about yourself before you became a professor.
In graduate school I received a fellowship from the Air Force to finish my degree. Upon completion of my degree I went to work at the Air Force Research Laboratory in San Antonio, TX. The funding for the lab was cut 7 months after I began, and I was out of a job. Luckily, I found a job at a consulting firm in Washington, DC. I really enjoyed that work and stayed there for two years. But, eventually I wanted to get back into research and I was lucky enough to be offered a position at Colorado State University. I stayed there for 5 years. Then came the opportunity to come to UNCC and be part of a new PhD program. What a cool opportunity – who could have passed that up? This is my 6th academic year here.

Why did you decide to become a professor?
It was something that knew I wanted to do since grad school. I looked at the opportunity to work for the Air Force Research Lab as a kind of post-doctoral position. It was a place I could go and do a lot of research and write lots of papers. I really thought that this would help me get a great academic position. I have always enjoyed the research aspect of my job.

What advice do you have for graduate students on how to get the most out of graduate school (to succeed in graduate school)?
Maintain a good balance between student life and personal life. I remember while in Grad School it was easy to become immersed in student life with all of the reading, paper writing, and research expectations and to forget that a personal life existed as well. Remember to exercise and take time for fun and build relationships.

What do you most like about being part of the OS program?
The students are fantastic! I am impressed every day by the quality of students we have in the program. It was my expectation starting a new PhD program that we might have to build a reputation and that it might take a while to attract quality students. However, we have had fantastic students from the day one. They provide energy and are so inspiring. They keep me on my toes. I love the interdisciplinary aspects of the program. As I have become familiar with the other disciplines in the program, talked with others and begin to connect, I feel like I’m learning so much which is really cool. I love the fact we can approach problems from so many different angles and different ways. When we bring all of the disciplines together it becomes really powerful.

What is the coolest project that you are currently working on?
I’m beginning some analysis for research I’m working on with Dr. Rogelberg. We are looking at how relationships between the variables being studied can be influenced by who does and who doesn’t participate in a survey. We know what non-response does to the mean level of the variables but so much about what it does to the relationship between them. I’m working on a project with a faculty member from Ohio State University. We are looking at how to reduce self presentation bias or faking on a personality test. We are looking at a strategy asking people to re-take the test if we believed they faked or cheated the first time. Adrian, one of my graduate students, and I are thinking about some changes to how assessments centers are implemented and scored. I am excited about this idea. Dr. Shanock and I have applied for a grant with the Army. The proposal examines issues of leadership; specifically how the degree of similarity in a leaders’ self perceptions and the perceptions of his or her followers impacts leadership outcomes.

No comments: